Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ties

I'm going to be heading for NYC tomorrow for a few days, which will include 2 Yankee games this weekend. One will be with my old college friends and the other will be with my even older grade school friends. Actually, everyone is about the same age, so no one is particularly older, though they (we) are all older than the last time I saw any of them, which was about 1978. The big question will be who has grey hair and who has no hair.

Anyway, I've been a little lax here because my personal life has been a mess coupled with the stratospheric rise of the Busch Leaguers, who have left the rest of us in the dust. It's a race for second at this point, which is a little less exciting. The last time I saw Jeff he offered a bet on us finishing first (he would bet on us). I turned him down. It was kind of like taking insurance at the blackjack table.

The race for second looks to be among Any 9, the Pounders and the Pecklers. No offense to the Cappers and the Bats, but despite what Kenny 9 wrote below, I just don't see it. Hey, I'll be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong.

I started looking at what the tie breakers are. The main tie breaker is categories between the teams. In this regard, Any 9 and the Pecklers are tied at 4-4. Possible changes are limited to ERA (Pecklers have upside) and Ratio (Any 9 has upside). Any 9 leads the Pounders 5-3, with Any 9 having upside in homers and the Pounders having upside in BA. Finally the Pecklers and the Pounders are tied at 4-4, with the Pecklers having upside in RBI and maybe, just maybe, in wins.

It's pretty close.

The next tie breaker involves innings pitched and at bats. In this, the more the better. Here are the stats:

At Bats:
Any 9 - 6002
Pecklers - 6142
Pounders - 6172

Innings Pitched:
Any 9 - 1183.3
Pecklers - 1188.3
Pounders - 1244.7

So the Pounders have a clear lead, and the Pecklers are 2nd.

It ought to get interesting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The tie breaker for a 4-4 category tie is: The most of AB + (3 * IP).

Kevin is further ahead than you think.

Larry

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get ready to eat your words, as George just zoomed by all of us into second.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home