Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Foul!

One of my seat license partners, Dale, sent an email to us today about last night's Giants game. I had a tennis match that ended after 10 PM, so I didn't see any of the game. In fact, I saw the final score on the TV in the club bar as I was sucking down my post match beer.

Without his permission, I quote:

Patty and I saw an unusual Giants game last night! There were four ejections (all Texas Rangers) and (following a Giants bullpen meltdown) a disputed call cost the Rangers a come-back victory.

In the ninth inning, with two outs and the tying runs in scoring position (following terrible pitching and fielding by the Giants) the Texas Rangers first baseman, Mark Teixeira, hit a line drive down the first base foul line. The first base umpire called it foul, though the Ranger's bullpen and Mr. Teixeira were convinced it was fair. When Teixeira protested, he was ejected from the game.

I don't think I've ever seen a player ejected from a game while at-bat, and with the game on the line. We felt sorry for the pinch hitter who had to replace him with two strikes and all the turmoil going on. He wound up flying out to left field, and the Giants won the game.

Last night's game could be the start of a new rivalry -- between the Texas Rangers and this umpiring crew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home