Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sliding Down the Razor Blade of Life

This is the first time since April 15 that I wasn't excited about posting here. I don't have anything particularly clever or smart or funny to say. I haven't even titled this entry yet because I'm not sure how it's going to come out.

It reminds me a bit of what my rabbi says about religious practice. First it's new, and different and exciting. Then after a while it becomes tedious and boring. And then, after you've been bored for a really long time, you start to recognize benefits from practice that have crept in that you weren't aware of.

Unfortunately, you have to take on faith that you'll ever get to that last step. I've never been someone who could keep up a journal because I don't ever get past that middle part. But I've taken the pledge on this blog, every day through the end of the season except when it is physically impossible.

I'll be going to my first weekday game tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, which is a major bummer, but I'll be there all slickered out. The Giants layed another egg yesterday, this time my boy Noah who wasn't quite so sparkling as I predicted. Aw, he's a good kid, give him a chance. And who is going to start in Jerome's place? You've got to figure the Giants may bring up someone for one day to start a game and send him down. This may be the first test of our new day by day rule. At least no one is keepable yet.

After taking a few baby steps forward toward respectability, the Busch Leaguers slid back down the razor blade of life (there's my title, from a Tom Lehrer song) back to 9th and under 40 points. Oliver Perez finally busted out, but then the Cubs' new closer, Chad Fox busted out, literally. That could be a season ender, and a big disappointment for the Buschies. The hitters (only about half of them played) put up a 3 for 23, no homers, no steals. That's a shame. Boys, enjoy this while it lasts because I expect this little engine that can to start running anytime. But what will be most interesting to watch is to what extent Jeff protects his team for next year vs. to what extent he has to play for this year. He hasn't had to deal with that through this Yankee-like run.

Meanwhile The Elder Barry (TEB) retains his overconfident lead. Overconfident? Barry is, as far as I can tell, the first one here to post an online comment (they're kind of hard to notice, so I don't generally look, but this caught my eye). Here is what he said:

"Pecklers looking North Again and the Bats suggest the Pecklers get used to it. "

This strikes me as someone declaring war against a guy with a pen, and what he hopes is an audience, and is looking for something, anything, to get excited about. Well, I'm excited that someone is occasionally looking at my prose. I hope I'm not writing into the black hole, though until today I haven't cared, because I'm entertaining myself. I would point out to Barry that we're .0002 behind him in BA for a 2 point swing at any minute.

I see the FAAB's are posted. Lou grabbed the .200 hitting McCracken just as Jose Cruz is about to start playing again. Larry actually bid SEVEN BUCKS on Neifi Perez, which shows how desperate the Falkuhns are. I liked the Halsey pickup by Hobo. I considered making a claim but I didn't have anyone I wanted to drop. He looks to have a little talent.

Uh Oh...Pedro's getting hit today. Suppan tonight. It could get ugly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home