Monday, April 25, 2005

Monday Muse

An ugly day Sunday, though at least I didn't have to work.

First, I had to give up my Giants tickets and break a date with Mr. Busch Leaguer himself because my tennis team needed another player for a 3PM match at Golden Gate Park. Besides wasting the tickets, have you ever played tennis at Golden Gate Park on a Sunday afternoon? It’s a circus, with people everywhere, no driving on most of the major roads in the park and jungle music in the air. At least I won, but not before I double faulted 4 straight times after nailing my opponent in the balls with a serve.

Then the Giants lost the game and series to the Brewers. Jerome had another ugly outing, particularly with 2 outs and 2 strikes on Carlos Lee who swatted a pair of 2 run homers. Young Derrick Turnbow snared his first save, which hints that it is NOT Mike Adams’ job anymore (Adams came in with 2 outs in the 7th). Too bad for Any 9 – that’s a shame. And I see JT Snow stole a base – sort of the equivalent of my seeing Neifi Perez hitting his one and only homer for the Giants.

To make it worse, the Dodgers came back to win in Colorado, though that was good for the Pecklers. The 3 Pickled Dodgers were 6 for 11 with 3 RBI’s. No homers, no steals, no wins, no saves yesterday.

Our 3 guys on the DL are getting closer to being back. Cruz and Mohr will probably be back this week, assuming Mohr-on’s personal problems are behind him. Werth is swinging again, and we should see him in early May.

Today’s stats showed an interesting fact: the top 5 teams in BA are Cappers, Bats, Hobo, Pecklers and Any 9, then a big drop to the Busch Leaguers. Those, in different order, are the 5 teams over 60 points. I’m going to keep my eye on that statistic as the season progresses.

The Busch Leaguers moved into 7th , though they are 13 points out of 6th with only 42 points. Is their pitching a mess? They are 11th in wins, 10th in ERA and WAY last in WHIP. Having had pitching staffs in the past that underperformed my expectations, this rarely fixes itself. It will be interesting to see if Jeff starts making some early FAAB pitching changes.

The Pounders are down 16 points this week, almost losing touch with the front pack. Beware talking well of your team in public – the drop began simultaneous with the publishing of BABI Talk.

Tonight we’ve got 2 more starts, by Lowry against San Diego and by Suppan against the Brewers. I’m interested in seeing how Lowry does against a Padre team that hit really well in San Francisco last year. He had a rocky outing, getting his first loss, but pulled it together in mid-game to keep the scoring down. I’m predicting a good outing tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home