Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Bulls Head

I hadn’t been to the Bulls Head for eons despite the fact that I have lived in the neighborhood for over 30 years. By the way, every time I look at the restaurant sign, I want to call it the Bull Sheed.

It’s by the West Portal Muni Station, a hole in the wall steakhouse that has been there forever. I was reminded of it in looking at hamburger joints, and on New Year’s Eve, having left the office early, I decided to give it a shout for late lunch.

They actually are better known for their Buffalo burgers, but that will have to wait for another weight – my traditional New Year’s Resolution. So this will be my last cheeseburger review for a while.

You can choose among buffalo, turkey and beef burgers, and there is a long list of extras you can choose among. Additionally, you can order 6 oz. or 8 oz. I went for the half pound beef burger with cheddar.

It seemed huge. I think it may weigh in higher than advertised, and they pound it a little thinner which spreads it out to cover the really big bun. But looking at the pre-molded patties in the “check me out steak refrigerator,” they just look enormous. Never a bad thing.

The meat was pretty tasty, cooked perfectly. My objection was the bun is too soft, and it just starts to disintegrate as you eat it, which takes a while, because it is a many bite burger.

The fries looked good, but I ordered coleslaw which wasn’t. And I partook in the weirdest salad bar in the city. I was in a veggie mood.

It’s a fun, nearby place, but I suspect it is not even the best burger in my neighborhood. Certainly the O Club is better. But it’s big and edible. The big cheeseburger was reasonably priced at $9.50. Neighborhoods are better for old style places like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home