Wednesday, January 21, 2009

BABI Rule Change Proposals

Here are rules suggestions I’ve received. Obviously some of them need to be fleshed out.

Thornton Melon
1 – Move to 5x5, adding K’s and runs scored.
2 – Real time pickups

Old Ripper
1 – Open FAAB date postponed until 6/1. Between draft night and open FAAB date, replacements only for open roster spots. All players traded from AL may be bid on by anyone.

Gilbert Sullivan
1 – 5x5 or 5x4
2 – Reserve Squad

Mr. Leaguer
Current Rule:
A mid-season or pre-season meeting of all owners will make all decisions relative to the future league rules and the dates for roster turn-in, draft day, etc. A majority of owners present is sufficient to make any and all decisions.

Proposed:
A pre-season meeting of all owners will make all decisions relative to the future league rules and the dates for roster turn-in, draft day, etc. A quorum of 7 owners is required to make any rule changes. All rule changes will require a 2/3 vote of owners present. Owners may participate via telephone.

Rationale:
Rule changes should not be made lightly. A 4-3 vote could have one third of the owners radically changing how the game is played.

Verbally from Larry Dot Net
Eliminate one utility slot, presumably with a corresponding drop in team budgets, probably to $270.

Kenny9
Throw them all back in a few years.

You are welcome to use the comments on this blog for discussion. Please sign with some indication of which team you represent.

2 Comments:

Blogger PEFACommish said...

Speaking for myself, and not all owners of the Pickled Ones, here are my thoughts:

I agree with Mr. Leaguer on having some higher minimum on rules changes. 2/3 is ok. I could also live with 7 votes of the 12 teams.

I don't know why 5x5 is somehow more fun than 4x4. I don't care, and I'm sure our team vote will be the opinion of my partner.

I don't like real time pickups. I much prefer weekly pickups.

I agree with moving the open FAAB date back. I think this has made pitching gambles easier and has inflated the values of hitters. June 1 seems about right.

No opinion on a reserve squad other than it would be a fairly radical change in how we do business. I consider this a bigger issue than 5x5 in its effect.

I appreciate Mr. Leaguer's comments about eliminating 1 utility slot. On the other hand, the hitter list after the auction is nasty. If we push back FAAB, it might not be so bad.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Repeating comments made by email:

I think it is abundantly clear that we have to move back to where we used to be on open FAAB. I propose that the date for open FAAB go back to June 1, like it used to be before we "fixed" it. This move should help curb some of the rampant inflation on draft night, especially amongst pitchers. It helps to give the draft the importance that it should have.

As Greg has pointed out, I am against changing to 5x5. This format has worked just fine for over 20 years now. Why do we feel the need to fix something that's not broken?

I would not be opposed to doing away wih one of the UT slots, although I can live with it also. If we decide to do away with one of the UT slots, there should be a $10 reduction in the draft budget to $270.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home