Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I Told You So

True story.

Back in November I was chatting with “The Larry.” No, that’s not Larry Dot Net. If you’re a Giants fan, you know who “The Larry” is.

He asked me two things. First, he asked me if the Giants should consider keeping J.T. Snow. I laughed. He was serious. I told him that no experienced fantasy player would even consider keeping Snow. I appreciate what JT has meant to the franchise, but the guy can’t hit anymore. I told him to dump away.

Then he asked if I had any ideas for a left-handed first baseman to replace Snow. I suggested Lyle Overbay, who at the time was still on the Brewers. It was clear that Overbay was going to be dealt, because the Brewers clearly wanted to go with Prince Fielder. Overbay and Fielder can only play first base, so it was obvious Overbay had to go. I said he was probably arbitration eligible, but he was a solid left-handed hitter right in his prime who wouldn’t be too expensive.

Larry looked at me and said words that shocked me: “That’s a new name. No one has mentioned him before.”

I said he had to be kidding. It was clear that the Brewers had to move Overbay. And although he might not be Ryan Howard, Overbay is definitely a professional hitter. I said I didn’t know what he would cost in trade, but it was clear the Brewers wanted to move him, and it wouldn’t cost Matt Cain. He said he’d bring it up.

Shortly thereafter the Giants signed Sweeney to be their left-handed first baseman. The Brewers later traded Overbay to the Blue Jays for David Bush, Gabe Gross and someone I don’t know. They avoided arbitration by signing him to a one year contract at $2.5 million.

Bush has some promise, but might be the eternal starter with a 4.30 ERA. Gross looks like a decent backup.

To date, Overbay’s numbers are:

460 AB’s, 37 2B, 19 HR, 77 RBI, .309/.366/.517

Do you think he might have helped the Giants?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home