Friday, May 26, 2006

Linked

Another Giants-related baseball blog I’ve linked here is El Lefty Malo, which has been written by a fellow named Alex since September, 2003. Lefty’s Giants observations more than meet my criteria of good writing and humor. Here’s an example:

Watching Barry Bonds close-up (my seats are just beyond the left-field fence) is painful. The man looks statuesque in left field: I mean his mobility, not his physique. How long can Giant center fielders continue to cover for him? When considering how he doesn't need to hit home runs to help win ball games (see yesterday's post), it's important to remember his defense. How many balls need to fall in, or singles turn to doubles, before his offensive advantages start to erode?

Statuesque. Now that’s good writing.

I sent him an email with an attachment of the April New Yorker cover entitled “Bigger than the Game”, a picture of Barry in left field about 1000 times bigger than anyone else on the field. I’d put that picture here, but even though almost every picture I post is probably copyrighted, republishing something from a recent New Yorker feels like a law suit in the making. If anyone out there demands a picture to be removed from this site, all you have to do is ask nicely. This place, and the pictures herein, are all just for fun.

Anyway, that the drawing was from the perspective of his seats in the left field bleachers. I told Lefty I enjoyed his writing and would become a regular. And, as is now my modus operandi in baseball matters, I attached a link to Sour Grapes.

This morning, when I got to work, Connie told me I had been “Linked.” She was reading Lefty’s blog, and he added me to his list of “Gigantes” links. Hey, like I’m the real thing! I think I’ve got some funny stuff here, but it feels like joining a fraternity. And I didn’t have to wear my underwear on my head, or go running around the neighborhood naked. Anyway, gracias, Lefty, you made my day.

The Giants were busy yesterday despite the day off. Munter was indeed sent down along with “Oatmeal” Ortmeier, who was beyond horrible in the field Wednesday.

Speaking of Oaty, there was a pop fly to short right-center field. Oatmeal, Finley, Durham and Vizquel all converged on it at top speed. In the end, Oatmeal tried to make the play, but it bounced off his glove and the game proceeded to get out of hand. I was sitting in Connie’s seats in Club Section 232, and so I had a good angle to see that play. I’m sorry, but that was Finley’s ball all the way. Even though the right fielders shade into the gap, that was an awfully long run for a right fielder, particularly if that fielder isn’t Randy Winn.

Meanwhile, Winn would have gotten to it easily if he were playing center (he was in left, which I don’t understand at all). I like Steve Finley, and thank God the Giants traded him for Alfonso (on so many levels), but he’s not a gold glover out there, and he’s not as fast as you think. I don’t understand playing him in center when Bonds is in left and Winn in right. Finley just can’t cover ground like Winn, and with the “statuesque” Bonds (patent pending by Lefty), they need Randy to cover some serious ground in front of the bleachers.

The Giants brought up AA phenom Jonathan Sanchez instead of the rumored return of Merkin. There is a lot of debate out there about whether Sanchez is going to give us another ugly career start. He can’t be any worse than Munter has been so far this season, or for that matter, the bulk of the bullpen. Can we say it yet? The Giants’ bullpen is horrible, it’s going to kill their chances for the division, and they have to fix it. Maybe yes, maybe no on Sanchez, but the answer is probably not in their system if it’s not him. Hey, the answer is never in their system. Taschner and Valdez aren’t exactly tearing up the PCL; I don’t think I want them to face Big Al. Mark my words, Sabean is already calling every GM right now for a quick fix. Anyone but Felix, Brian.

Although the stats won’t hurt the Pickled Pecklers even though he’s on our team, Matt LeCroy was beyond horrible yesterday. Seven stolen bases through 6-1/3 innings and two throwing errors has got to be the catching equivalent of Rick Ankiel. Most amazing was the third toughest bad ass in major league history (after Ty Cobb and Bob Gibson), Frank Robinson, literally crying after the game because he had to embarrass LeCroy by taking him out in the middle of an inning. What the hell??? Hey, Frank, THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!

Michael Barrett got suspended for ten games. As his fantasy owner, I’d say it’s worth every minute.

Final question: could Barry have stolen a base off LeCroy yesterday? Imagine the following scenario: Barry tries to steal second, LeCroy throws it into centerfield, Damian Jackson charges the ball and throws Barry out still jogging into second for the classic 2-8-6 caught stealing putout.

1 Comments:

Blogger Meatstout said...

It's nice to know that Damian Jackson has finally been recognized as the legitimate starting CF for WASH!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home