Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Eddie

I wrote “Taking One for the Team” before I went to lunch. Occasionally I write something here that I really enjoy, generally because it’s not too fantasy baseball oriented and because it’s usually pretty funny. In those moments, I can’t wait to write the next entry.

That’s exactly what happened today. I left the office chuckling about “Canoodler” and looking forward to the next great inspiration. When I got back and sat back down at my desk, it was there in front of me.

I had left Sour Grapes up on my screen in my absence. The Doc threatened to write something after the game, so I did a refresh on the page to see if he had posted anything. (Nope.) Then I took a look to see if Art Vandalay or Professor Pennypacker had left a comment.

Sure enough, there was a comment, but not from a Seinfeld character. It was from “Eddie”. The comment was “LOL”.

I drilled down, and it turned out that Eddie was surfing, somehow came across Sour Grapes, and took a look at it, reading about Mr. Canoodler. I’ve had this blog since early February, and that’s the first comment I’ve had from someone who is not “one of the guys”. The idea that somebody would for some reason come across this page and find it interesting or funny is amazing to me. Not Ken, or Noel, or Mark, or any of my regulars who are actually IN BABI, but someone wasting time at the office who has absolutely no idea what a BABI is. Eddie.

I know that theoretically blogging puts me out there in the world. But since the topic of this blog is so narrow, and I don’t advertise it, and despite the brilliant writing, I am not, at this time, well known, it seems unlikely that anyone would come across it. Blogger posts on their main page the most recent updated blogs, so maybe Eddie saw Sour Grapes listed there the moment I posted that piece. I doubt he found it using a search engine, because even though my blog might actually be included in them, if you type Sour Grapes into Google, you’re going to have to drill down a whole bunch of pages to find me, if you find me at all.

By the way, it turns out, coincidentally, that Eddie is a CPA, and reads the same kind of financial journals I read. He apparently subscribes to The Street Dot Com (I used to at one time, but I kind of got sick of Cramer despite the fact that he sent me an autographed Street Dot Com T-shirt for a good email I wrote him once.) He follows Buffett (I’ve been following him since the early ‘80’s, though didn’t buy any Berkshire until much later). Unlike me, he has advertising on his blog.

Anyway, I’m stunned. I’m thrilled. And I’m out there. Peckler Can.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eddie,
We could use you in our league--especially if what Josh is writing about is confusing to you! Our draft day is always the first friday of April, so make your plans to be in Fort Mason in SF from 3-9 p.m. next year!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home