Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year, Oedipus

Resolution #1 – An entry every day in 2008.

Resolution #2 – Don’t forget resolution #1.

Have you ever actually kept any resolution more than a week or two? This is undoubtedly the biggest sales week for Nutrisystems and 24 Hour Nautilus. Good luck to those of you starting your resolutions, including me.

Here is something you do NOT want to hear on New Years Day, or any other day for that matter:

Last night I cooked dinner for my wife and my mother. I bought a couple of double thick rib eye steaks – I love to BBQ double thick steaks, and get a good char on the outside. I then throw them in the oven until the inside gets to 125 F, and then let it rest. Rib eyes cause a lot of fire in the grill, but that gets that great fast char, while keeping it rare in the center. Don’t forget to let it rest, the longer the better.

Anyway, my butcher special cuts any double thick orders. He grabbed a prime rib roast out of the counter, and cut away the bones, then sliced my steaks. I told him to throw in 4 beef ribs, which are always fun to eat too. I threw those on the grill too, presumably for lunch today.

My mother took a little of everything on her plate, and took one of the ribs. She was dainty at first with it, cutting the meat on the sides with a knife, but she got in there with her hands by the end. This morning we were talking about the dinner, and she said:

“I love a good bone.”

Happy New Year. Excuse me while I tear my eyes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home