Friday, July 14, 2006

State of Fear

This is the short kind of story that I used to send out in an email. But I’m sure my world wide audience would be interested in it.

About 6 months ago the Colonel was in my office and gave me a copy of Michael Crichton’s “State of Fear.” He said I must read it, that it’s a great book. It sat on my shelf until today.

I always have more than one book in process. I usually have a book at the office to read at lunch, and a couple of books at home that I’m working on simultaneously. Lately I read Major Dick Winters’ autobiography of World War II, “Beyond Band of Brothers,” and a novel, “The Kite Runner,” both highly recommended. At home I’m reading “Fantasywise” and a book Kenny 9 loaned me about the 1908 National League pennant race (the year of Bonehead Merkel), and Volume II of Dan Harrington’s No Limit Hold ‘Em series.

I had started “Life of Pi” last week in the office, but it didn’t strike my fancy, so I finally pulled the Colonel’s recommendation off the shelf and headed to Canteen for lunch. I got into the elevator with a woman who asked what I was reading. I showed her the book and told her a friend gave it to me and had said it was a great book.

She asked me, “Is your friend conservative?” I told her that he was. She replied, “Conservatives love this book. That’s the book after which I stopped reading Michael Crichton.”

The Colonel. One of a kind. OK, Colonel, I’m reading it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home