Thursday, June 02, 2005

No Cigar

The Giants and the have been fading fast. It’s always easier to write when things are good.

I’m heading shortly to the Bohemian Grove to stock up on new jokes with which to torture Mark, so I’ll be offline until Monday. I got an invite for the Spring Jinx. A couple of years ago I went up for a few days during the summer encampment. At my first lunch I downed a martini, had some wine with lunch, and then finished off the meal with a cigar. The cigar pretty much finished me off for about 24 hours. Never again.

In the meantime I leave our team in the hands of the Doc, to screw up as he sees fit. All trade offers go to him this week.

The Giants look sick, with no hitting and mediocre pitching. It’s amazing they have won this many games. They need Schmidt and Noah and Tomko to start winning some games fast. This is not all about Barry, speaking of whom, Ken took the under on our bet about Barry playing 50 games this season.

Hawkins looked fine yesterday, giving up a pinch grand slam yesterday to Chase Utley. Hobo owns both Hawkins (who they offered to us last week, but didn’t follow through) and Utley. Is your pitcher giving up all the pieces of a grand slam worse than your hitter hitting a grand slam is good? Is that English? Utley has turned out to be quite a nice $13 piece – 9/25/5/.307. We were the bidders at $12, and we could have had him for $14. Instead we paid $11 on Eckstein, which wasn’t bad, but wasn’t Utley. Anyway, back to Hawkins – it’s clear that yesterday’s outing keeps Tyler Walker the closer for a while longer.

The Pecklers have stopped hitting for BA. There isn’t much you can do about that. We’re still in 2nd in homers, but the BA needs to go up on its own. We’re probably getting closer to blowing off steals, as it’s going to be might expensive to fix that category. That will make Matt Lawton available, as well as Eckstein. Bolster our other categories and they can be yours.

I’m not sure how the Cappers faded below 60. I must not have been paying attention. If Ken wins that under bet on Bonds, that will be bad news for George. I see we passed them in ERA, another bad sign.

Wow, look at the Lickers! They are suddenly kicking ass. Next week I’ll take a good look at this team, but it proves keepers are over rated.

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home