Monday, May 23, 2005

Save and a Haircut, 2 Bits

I was insulted by one of you the other day. I received an email from Ken Harootunian over the weekend thanking me for posting his comments. And then, he added, “sorry to rip Walker in my comments.”

Well, take your “sorry” and shove it. I don’t need your stinkin’ sorrys. Most of you have known me for years. Do I seem to be a thin skinned kind of guy? Do you think I can’t take it? I dish it out, and I can take it. I can even take it when you’ve been dead wrong.

Yesterday the Pecklers got our 3rd save from Tyler $32 Walker this week. I don’t know how long this is going to last, particularly with the Giants being so mediocre, but we’re happy to ride the hot hand. And yesterday’s save was special, because in that game we got both the win (Lowry, finally) and the save (Walker). We should have had two of those combos yesterday. Pedro left the game with a 3-1 lead, but the Mets’ pen, even more feeble than the Giants’, couldn’t hold it for Looper. No win, no save.

We don’t consciously try to pair up a starter and a closer, but a win and a save in the same game is definitely one of the cool things to see in the morning box scores. We’re hoping Tyler Walker finishes off a whole bunch of games for both Lowry and Tomko. Of course, with the Giants, we almost never have to wait until we read the paper the next day to get the news.

So the Giants took the last 2 from the A’s. It appears the Giants are just good enough to play slightly better than .500 against the mediocre teams. Barry’s not going to be back for another 75 games or so, though Schmidt is going to give it a whirl tonight. I saw Herges pitch on Saturday, and he was throwing some pretty nasty stuff up there. Let’s hope it wasn’t a mirage. It is starting to look like one hell of a managing job by Felipe if the Giants take the division.

We got a message from Larry.net beating me to the punch on something I was going to write today. Larry insists that interleague baseball has got to go, because it takes way too long to look at all those box scores in the morning. I could not agree more. American League stats should be published in a separate newspaper, not in the same box score.

The fact is, we’re all geeks, every one of us. But at least I don’t participate in an AL fantasy league and I absolutely refuse to look at the AL side of the page. Do you want to know who plays for the Tigers? I DON’T KNOW. And I don’t want to know. Give me a couple of weekly updates on what Ichiro is doing (he should be in the NL) and I’m good.

You guys, like the Doc and George and Mr. Leaguer, who are in AL fantasy leagues are all super-geeks. My wife keeps yelling at me, “Get a life.” Well, guys, get a life. Larry, your decision to get out of BARB was the first great step back toward a normal life. And today we start NL only games again. I can breathe again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home